Tips on How to Organise a Great Corporate Event
Organising an impressive and effective corporate event can be a daunting task, but it need not be! Party and event hire companies can professionally support events and a wealth of information is available to help you plan and prepare for a great occasion. Rather than feeling overwhelmed and panicked about the development of a corporate event, use the tips and suggestions of those who are experts in the field.
- Style, including look and feel: Think carefully about the event and how it should look and feel as well as the atmosphere that you want to create. Think also about the people that will attend and the reason for the event – is it a celebration? An opportunity for working and collaboration? No matter what its primary purpose, the event should foster positivity and enthusiasm for the company. It will almost always be an opportunity to nurture and grow the business and strengthen relationships.
- Use checklists: Use a checklist or planning tool as a step by step resource for planning and carrying out the event. The checklist should be an active document that is frequently updated to show current status.
- Budget: As the financial blueprint for the event, the budget must be specific and include income and expense items. Like other checklists used, it should be updated regularly and maintained accurately.
- Site of the Event: Select a site for the event that is within budget and fit for purpose. The location and set up of the event is fundamental to its success so spend some time ensuring that you have the ‘right’ venue. Consider also the need for staging and special equipment, the required number of rooms, tables and chairs and the possibility of indoor/outdoor space.
- Catering: Important at any event is the food and drink on offer. Consider the type of food that will be offered and whether it is appropriate to serve a sit down meal, a buffet, finger food or even snack food. Think too about the beverages that will be made available. No matter what you decide, it is imperative that plenty of food and drink is offered.
- Publicity and Marketing: If publicity and marketing are needed, think about the most appropriate methods for spreading the word about your event. Being aware of your target audience and the information that they need will help to determine the most effective approach.
- Entertainment and Speakers: If entertainment and/or speakers will be part of your event, they should be booked well in advance with arrangements confirmed as the event draws closer. Entertainers and speakers should be briefed carefully and understand their role and contribution to the event.
- Parking and Transport: If a large number of guests are expected and they are likely to drive, ensure that adequate parking is available and that guests are advised of parking provision. Similarly, if guests will arrive by public transport, it is courteous and important to let them know how the event may be accessed by transport of this nature.
- Evaluation: One of the most important aspects of any event is an evaluation of its overall success and success in achieving its specified objectives. Unfortunately, this aspect of event organisation and coordination is often overlooked. Feedback from guests and participants is often the best indication of the event’s effectiveness and this can be done through an evaluation form (possibly anonymous) or even just speaking with guests.
- Reflection: As part of the evaluation process, invest time in thinking back over and reflecting on all stages of the event’s preparation and delivery. This will provide you will valuable information regarding the areas that worked well and those that could be improved for future events.
When organising a great corporate event there is a lot to consider and do. Immense support can be obtained through party hire and event hire companies and the tips provided here will give you guidance in creating an effective and successful event.